“The ‘Accidental Counsellor’ course is a 2x half-day online program designed to equip individuals with practical skills for situations where they inadvertently take on a counselling role. Accidental counsellors frequently encounter this responsibility unexpectedly, prompted by conversations or requests from customers, colleagues, friends, or others.
This course imparts valuable and efficient skills for assuming the role of a counsellor and offering support to individuals grappling with anger, distress, or challenging circumstances.
- An overview of mental health, mental illness and wellbeing
- What is a crisis?
- Recognising the signs of mental distress, trauma and stress
- Basic communication and active listening skills
- Basic risk assessment
- Strategies for dealing with people in crisis
- When and where to refer
- Self-care and vicarious trauma prevention
- Learn how to recognise signs of crisis, respond effectively and make appropriate referrals
- Develop skills in active listening and gentle questioning
- Learn the importance of self-care and meaningful boundary setting
Participants will be better equipped to support those around them experiencing crisis and emotional distress.
Learn about our speakers
Liana Busoli is an experienced psychotherapist, consultant and trainer with a particular interest in trauma, vicarious trauma, and staff burnout. She has a Master of Counselling (UQ) and is a member of the Australian Counselling Association. Liana’s work is informed by the latest psychological research, neurobiology and best practice trauma work. She has provided training to a wide variety of organisations including government agencies, education providers, community services, health services, not-for-profits, private businesses and more. Liana gives people and organisations the support, tools, and education they need to improve their mental health and wellbeing and live bigger, richer and fuller lives.
Event brought to you by
20 & 27 February 2024
9:00 am - 12:30 pm (ACDT)
Digital resources and workbook
Online (interactive webinar)
Over 2x half days
Personal Member: $180
State Government Member: $225
Corporate Member: $385