The South Australian public sector includes many entities which are established by legislation (Statutory Entities). These entities include public authorities, statutory authorities, statutory corporations and advisory committees. Statutory entities must only act within the confines of legislation. This constraint has direct consequences for the lawful operation of Statutory Entities.
Key outcomes of the course relate to the lawful operation of Statutory Entities, including:
- informed and lawful decision-making
- acting within the statutory mandate
- acting under valid delegations.
- the diverse roles of Statutory Entities within the South Australian public sector
- types of Statutory Entities
- the significance of being established by legislation
- understanding the establishing legislation
- the importance of the specified functions and powers of a Statutory Entity
- legislative and common law constraints on the functions and powers of a Statutory Entity
- the significance of a Statutory Entity being incorporated
- operational and governance requirements under establishing legislation
- external oversight of decision making, operations and conduct of Statutory Entities
The content would be drawn from various South Australian Statutory Entities and their establishing legislation.
Learn about our speakers
I enjoy working with my clients to develop regulatory and commercial strategies for responsive government at all levels, and the effective delivery of public services and public sector projects. My aim is to ensure that my clients are supported to deliver public services and projects in a manner which is accountable, commercial and meets public policy aims. To achieve this, I have worked closely with clients to develop policies and procedures for corporate governance, commercial operations and the exercise of regulatory powers.
I have advised local, state and federal governments for 20 years on governance and regulatory issues, the delivery of public services, public sector amalgamations, regulatory design and implementation and major infrastructure projects (including water infrastructure, precinct-wide trigeneration, roads, hospitals, ports and prisons).
Upcoming course availability
Thursday, 15 September 2022
9:00 am - 12:30 pm (8:30am registration)
Anyone requiring to form or manage contracts within the public sector
Workbook, morning tea and refreshments
12 Pirie Street, Adelaide SA 5000
(room location to be advised)
Personal Members $315
State Government Members $350
Corporate Members and Partners $360
This course is also available to be delivered in-agency. Please contact us for further information.