Managing the Team – Introduction to Supervision/Management
Gain an introduction to the new world of supervision and management and learn foundational models and approaches to supervision and management. You will gain greater awareness of what is reasonably expected of supervisors and managers and be introduced to further areas of development that may assist you in your management journey.
Managing the Business – Strategic Thinking
Strategic thinking is essential for all leaders and is necessary to create smart strategies and identify improvements. Learn how to apply strategic thinking as part of planning and policy development and the different types of intelligence that contribute to strategic thinking. Gain an introduction to different perspectives of looking at an organisation and models for strategic thinking, strategy and change.
Managing the Resources – Managing Budgets and Financial Plans
Gain a clear understanding of the fundamental budgeting concepts and processes. You will also learn the dynamics of the relationship between operational performance and financial performance and learn to apply contemporary budgeting principles to monitor and report on budgets and understand government budgeting processes. You will also understand how to manage your budget consistently with the whole of government processes.
Managing the Work – Managing Your Project: An Introduction to Project Management
You will develop the practical skills, tools and knowledge needed for planning, controlling and contributing to projects within your own organisation and beyond. Gain a working knowledge and practical understanding of the nature of public sector projects and the fundamental elements of project management while you apply proven scoping and planning techniques to current or future real world project.
Who Should Attend
People new to supervision and management or people preparing to become supervisors and managers and want to learn some systems to perform more efficiently. It will suit managers, team leaders, and supervisors for whom planning is an essential ingredient to the smooth operations of their unit and the optimal utilisation of their resources.
Benefits to You and Your Organisation
- Provide a solid range of foundational skills to assist in your role, along with a safe environment to explore your role.
- Share your journey with others in similar stages of their career.
- You will be introduced to models that you can apply to evaluate and enhance your thinking.
- You will gain a broader approach to problem-solving.
- You will understand how the whole of government budget processes work.
- Understand and clarify financial terms and jargon.
- Better understand your project requirements to achieve greater project success and understanding in your agency/ organisation.
- Improved capability of staff will create project efficiencies in your agency/organisation.
On completion of this series, you will receive a certificate of participation, signed by IPAA SA President and Commissioner for Public Sector Employment, Erma Ranieri, for your CV.
Learn about our facilitator
Mark Priadko helps his business clients think clearly through complex situations and opportunities.
Mark has worked for the last 15 years as a freelance contractor and consultant based in Adelaide, South Australia.
Clients include organisations from all levels of government (state, federal and local), Universities, and other for-profit and not-for-profit organisations. His love of learning, his experience and understanding of finances and strategy, and his curiosity lead him to insights into how organisations and their various functions and projects can be progressed or improved.
Mark Priadko works with his clients to more clearly understand their organisations helping them make quality decisions often in complex situations. Mark is engaged by his clients in a range of ways including:
• Independent thinking - to perform detailed organisational and financial analysis and deliver reports containing findings and recommendations and to produce business cases, proposals or business plans designed to improve the organisation
• Training and Development - to develop and deliver training in courses on topics like Financial Management, Strategic Thinking, Constructing Business Cases, Critical Thinking and Problem Solving and Analysing and Presenting Data.
• Facilitated thinking - To facilitate the thinking and planning necessary to help an organisation develop strategic and business plans, business cases/proposals and approaches to reporting.
Mark has developed and delivered a range of training courses for publicly offered programs and tailored courses specific to client requirements. Tailoring of training takes into account specific organisational requirements, processes and reporting formats as well as the development of case studies relevant to the organisation.
Courses and training materials have been developed for:
• Financial Management (including managing budgets and financial plans)
• Strategic Thinking
• Preparing reports and business cases
• Analysing and presenting data
• Critical thinking and problem solving
• An Introduction to Project Management
• Innovation and Creativity.
Clients include public sector Departments (State and Federal), Local Councils, Universities, Large Infrastructure Companies and not-for-profit organisations.
The first half of his professional career led him to Executive roles in South Australian Treasury and Finance. He has a deep knowledge of government decision-making processes and public sector financial management. The second half of his career has seen Mark work with a range of clients, largely public sector, on initiatives to improve their organisations or develop their staff. Mark has public sector clients based in Adelaide, Canberra and Hobart.
Mark’s former responsibilities in Treasury and Finance included providing advice on the State Government’s financial strategy, legislation and policies, overseeing whole of government banking, financial reporting and related financial systems and working with agencies as part of the annual budget process and weekly Cabinet processes.
Mark also worked for in BHP Billiton as a team leader involved in establishing teams in the Shared Service Centre in 2000 and 2001.
Mark has an Honours Degree in Economics and a Graduate Diploma in Marketing.
Mark is married (to Gemma for 24 years) and has three children (Bonnie – 20, Charlotte – 17 and Xavier – 13). He also serves as a volunteer board member for Arid Recovery Pty Ltd (conservation and research organisation) and as a trustee for the Julie Farr McLeod Benevolent Fund (supporting services to the disability community).
6 x half days, 9:00am-12:30pm and 1 x full day 9:00am - 4:30pm
Contact us for alternate duration and delivery style options
First Line Manager Common (ASO3-ASO6)
Middle Manager Core (ASO5-ASO6)
Digital Workbook and Resources
Online via Cisco Webex
Professional Member $1,564
State Government Employee Member $1,683
Corporate Member $1,717
You can register for the entire series and receive a 10% discount or register for individual sessions that meet your immediate needs.