- Role of the proofreader.
- Role of the editor.
- Use of style guides.
- Practical application of editing and proofreading skills to documents.
- Copyright and defamation issues.
- Tone and consistency in language.
- Identify and correct common errors in grammar, typography, and expression.
- Edit your own and others’ documents.
- Understand the importance of style guides and how to apply them.
- Use clear, concise and grammatically correct language.
- Check documents thoroughly before distribution.
Who Should Attend
- Communications and marketing staff, project officers or policy staff responsible for writing documents.
- Staff responsible for the output of documents to defined audiences.
- Employees at all levels who proofread draft material and need to ensure accuracy.
Benefits to You and Your Organisation
More efficient production of routine written documents with less editing as well as improving your editing and proofreading skills.
Learn about our speakers
Dr Nigel Starck
Polish Your Punctuation & Grammar Course
Dr Nigel Starck is the Institute of Public Administration Australia’s specialist lecturer in editing and proofreading. A former newspaper editor, he is an author of biographies and histories, and for 17 years directed UniSA communication programs in the Asia-Pacific region. Dr Starck holds a Master of Arts (Communication Studies) degree from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology and a PhD in English Literature from Flinders University.
In addition, he has been:
• a correspondent and feature writer over four decades for major newspapers, including The Guardian [UK], The Times [UK], The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age [Melbourne], The Canberra Times, and The Advertiser [Adelaide]
• a published contributor to scholarly journals, including Australian Journalism Review, Australian Studies in Journalism, Journalism Practice [UK], Journalism Studies [UK], and the Journal of Applied Learning & Teaching (Singapore).
The need for clear, accurate information and communication has remained a constant factor in all those initiatives over the years. The IPAA acknowledges that demand by offering this course today.
Upcoming course availability
Thursday, 09 November 2023
1 full day
9:00am-4:30pm (8:45am registration)
Entry Level Common (ASO1-ASO2)
Front Line Manager Common (ASO3-ASO5)
Workbook and Resources, lunch, morning tea and refreshments
12 Pirie Street, Adelaide SA 5000
(please visit registration links for further information)
Personal Member $515
State Govt Employee Member $550
Corporate Member $560