- Role of the proofreader.
- Role of the editor.
- Use of style guides.
- Practical application of editing and proofreading skills to documents.
- Copyright and defamation issues.
- Tone and consistency in language.
- Identify and correct common errors in grammar, typography, and expression.
- Edit your own and others’ documents.
- Understand the importance of style guides and how to apply them.
- Use clear, concise and grammatically correct language.
- Check documents thoroughly before distribution.
Who Should Attend
- Communications and marketing staff, project officers or policy staff responsible for writing documents.
- Staff responsible for the output of documents to defined audiences.
- Employees at all levels who proofread draft material and need to ensure accuracy.
Benefits to You and Your Organisation
More efficient production of routine written documents with less editing as well as improving your editing and proofreading skills.
Learn about our speakers
Dr Nigel Starck
Writes of Passage
Dr Nigel Starck is the Institute of Public Administration’s specialist lecturer in editing and proofreading. A former newspaper editor, he is an author of biographies and histories, and for the past 10 years has been director of UniSA’s communication programs in the Asia-Pacific region. Dr Starck holds a master’s degree in Communication Studies from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology and a PhD in English Literature from Flinders University.
Way, way back (pre-wifi and even pre-fax), he was press secretary to a Premier of South Australia. Media releases in those days were composed on golf-ball typewriters and corrected with liquid paper. But the need for clear, accurate information and communication has remained unchanged over the years – and the acknowledgment of that demand is why we’re conducting this course today.
Upcoming course availability
Monday, 15 February 2021
Wednesday, 31 March 2021
Friday, 04 June 2021
1 full day
9:00am-4:30pm (8:45am registration)
Contact us for alternate duration and delivery style options
Entry Level Common (ASO1-ASO2)
Front Line Manager Common (ASO3-ASO5)
Workbook and Resources, lunch and refreshments
IPAA SA Level 6, 12 Pirie Street, Adelaide SA 5000
Personal Member $515
State Government Employee Member $550
Corporate Member $560