Mental health and wellbeing is an essential topic for all managers and leaders to understand, especially in today’s challenging times. Becoming familiar with not only your responsibilities but also on how you take action is vital in fulfilling your role and in helping you maintain your team’s effectiveness and cohesiveness.
- What is meant by the terms ‘mental health’ and ‘mental illness’.
- Understand how mental health issues can impact on workplace behaviour.
- Planning and conducting conversations about mental health.
- Managing performance concerns.
- Understanding stress.
- Individual/team/organisational strategies to reduce stress and build resilience.
- Understand the common experience of mental health concerns.
- Understand organisational/managerial obligations in managing mental health.
- Have a framework to discuss mental health concerns.
- Feel confident in running a meeting to discuss mental health concerns.
- Develop an individual action plan to manage stress.
Who Should Attend
This course is ideal for anyone who is currently in a management or supervisory role.
Benefits to You and Your Organisation
- Early intervention where mental health impacts performance.
- Skills building for managers.
- Improvements in team cohesion & communication.
- Increase psychological wellbeing in the workplace which increases productivity and decreases absenteeism.
- Provides employees with wellbeing tools that help meet duty of care obligations under WH&S policies.
- Return on investment in mental health initiatives in organisations has been estimated to be $2.30 for every $1 invested.
- With around 20% of Australians experiencing mental health difficulties in any year, managing wellbeing is a critically important topic for organisations and leaders.
Learn about our speakers
Samantha Young M.Psych. (Clin.), M.B.A, B.A. (Hons.), MAPS, GAICD
Samantha brings a unique combination of senior management and commercial experience, psychological intervention skills and Masters-level formal education in both business and psychology to her clinical, training, coaching and consulting work. Sam has delivered training for IPAA for nearly ten years with consistently positive participant feedback and is a sought after facilitator and keynote speaker, working with hundreds of employees and managers every year. The 21st Manager series designed by Sam incorporates the latest in psychological research, leadership theory and neuroscience and is now in its ninth year.
Samantha has worked as a Consultant with Boston Consulting Group, Sales & Marketing Manager for The Body Shop and Strategy Manager for Myer GraceBros. Samantha holds Bachelor and Postgraduate qualifications in business and psychology, including a Master Degree in Clinical Psychology and an MBA from Melbourne University. Samantha has completed the Company Director’s Course and is a member of the Australian Psychological Society.
Samantha is passionate about helping people to think, feel and perform better to realise their human potential. She is CEO of Human Psychology, one of Adelaide’s largest psychological services providers and now part of the APM Group globally, with a team of 25 clinicians operating for nearly 17 years. Human Psychology’s mission is to help organisations and their people to embrace 21st-century change by enhancing their self-awareness, building stronger and more cohesive relationships, increasing engagement, developing resilience and most importantly, caring for themselves and others. Human Psychology is the Employee Assistance Program provider for numerous public sector agencies, including SA Health, Department for Education, Attorney General’s Department and Department of Correctional Services. Samantha also coaches executives and leaders across multiple agencies. This experience as a wellbeing partner over nearly two decades has given Samantha a deep understanding of the challenges faced by public sector leaders.
1 half day 9:00am-12:30pm (8:45am registration)
First Line Manager Common (ASO3-ASO5)
Middle Manager Core (ASO6-ASO8)
(this competency framework is provided as a guide only)
Digital Workbook and Resources
Online via Microsoft Teams
(not sure if this platform is suitable for you? Contact us and one of our friendly team will arrange a test session for you - there are options to suit everyone)
Personal Member $290
State Govt Employee Member $330
Corporate Member $340
This course can be delivered In-Agency. Contact us to discuss the delivery of this course within your department.