It can be challenging, taking on a new role as a manager or supervisor, where you are required to shift your mindset from team member to team leader. Having the essential grounding in management and leadership capabilities will help you feel confident and secure in your new role. This series is specially designed with public sector managers and leaders in mind, looking and specific frameworks and capabilities that will help you manage the performance and outputs of your team in an ever-changing workplace.
Session 1 – Leading and Developing an Effective Team
Build the skills to assist team members to work together to deliver on the goals and aspirations of the organisation. You will be provided with a day packed full of practical information, tips and tools for new managers. You will explore how to get a grip on your own role, how to make the transition from team member to team leader and how to get your team working at its best.
Session 2 – Providing Performance Feedback
People need feedback on their work and both managers and staff need comfortable stress free ways to give and receive performance feedback. Develop your skills as a new manager to confidently provide feedback to staff who are performing well, as well as those who need to improve.
Session 3 – Leading and Managing Change
Coping with the ambiguity and uncertainty of change is imperative for new managers who also need to lead their team members in working through the changes. Learn a range of adaptive leadership and management strategies, techniques and tools that will be helpful for you to keep in mind and apply to whatever changing circumstances you face.
Session 4 – Managing Workloads
Learn how to manage your workload in this intensive workshop. You will gain the skills to balance expectations and reality whilst also gaining the tools to identify and manage work priorities.
- Understand the responsibilities of new managers to lead and develop their team.
- Develop adaptive leadership and management skills and access related tips and tools.
- Develop confidence as a new manager.
- Understand the importance of performance feedback.
- Develop skills and techniques for giving and receiving feedback.
- Understand the dynamic nature of change and applying innovation at work.
- Access strategies and tools for co-design/collaboration, embracing diversity and strengthening integrity.
- Develop confidence as an adaptive change manager.
- Understand how to manage workloads and workflow.
- Access workload and workflow management tools and techniques that foster innovation and collaboration.
On completion of this series, you will receive a certificate of participation, signed by IPAA SA President and Commissioner for Public Sector Employment, Erma Ranieri, for your CV.
Contact us for future intake dates
4 topics, split over 8 half-day online sessions,
9:00am - 12:30pm
Contact us for alternate duration and delivery style options
First Line Manager Core (ASO4-ASO6)
Middle Manager Core (ASO5-ASO6)
Extensive digital workbook and resources
Online via Cisco Webex
Professional Member $1,750
State Government Employee Member $1,885
Corporate Member $1,925
The programs presented are aligned to public sector competencies and reflect the changing nature of government. You can register for the entire series and receive a 15% discount or register for individual sessions that meet your immediate needs.