It can be challenging, taking on a new role as a manager or supervisor, where you are required to shift your mindset from team member to team leader. Having the essential grounding in management and leadership capabilities will help you feel confident and secure in your new role. This series is specially designed with public sector managers and leaders in mind, looking at specific frameworks and capabilities that will help you manage the performance and outputs of your team in an ever-changing workplace.
Session 1 – Leading and Developing an Effective Team
Build the skills to assist team members to work together to deliver on the goals and aspirations of the organisation. You will be provided with a day packed full of practical information, tips and tools for new managers. You will explore how to get a grip on your own role, how to make the transition from team member to team leader and how to get your team working at its best.
Session 2 – Providing Performance Feedback
People need feedback on their work and both managers and staff need comfortable stress free ways to give and receive performance feedback. Develop your skills as a new manager to confidently provide feedback to staff who are performing well, as well as those who need to improve.
Session 3 – Leading and Managing Change
Coping with the ambiguity and uncertainty of change is imperative for new managers who also need to lead their team members in working through the changes. Learn a range of adaptive leadership and management strategies, techniques and tools that will be helpful for you to keep in mind and apply to whatever changing circumstances you face.
Session 4 – Managing Workloads
Learn how to manage your workload in this intensive workshop. You will gain the skills to balance expectations and reality whilst also gaining the tools to identify and manage work priorities.
- Understand the responsibilities of new managers to lead and develop their team.
- Develop adaptive leadership and management skills and access related tips and tools.
- Develop confidence as a new manager.
- Understand the importance of performance feedback.
- Develop skills and techniques for giving and receiving feedback.
- Understand the dynamic nature of change and applying innovation at work.
- Access strategies and tools for co-design/collaboration, embracing diversity and strengthening integrity.
- Develop confidence as an adaptive change manager.
- Understand how to manage workloads and workflow.
- Access workload and workflow management tools and techniques that foster innovation and collaboration.
On completion of this series, you will receive a certificate of participation, signed by IPAA SA President and Commissioner for Public Sector Employment, Erma Ranieri, for your CV.
This series is also available online.
Learn about our facilitator
Inspiring exceptional leadership
Centre for People Development
- Internationally Accredited Leadership Master Coach
- Change management specialist
- Performance Management specialist
- Leading change through motivating, empowering and challenging individuals and groups
- Strategic planning
- Coaching, consulting, training and group facilitation
- Creative problem solving for complex issues
- Stakeholder Engagement and Consultation
- Training and public speaking skills in small and large group settings
- Human resource management
- Flexibility, high level energy and lateral thinking
- Fostering collaborative approaches with stakeholders in the development of focused solutions to local problems
- Certified Master Coach, Behavioural Coaching Institute (USA)
- Diploma of Teaching
- Certificate IV Training and Assessment
- Diploma of Management
- Diploma Project Management
- Leading and Managing Change certification
- Working with Difficult People certification
Learning Facilitator and Accredited Coach
Centre for People Development
- Highly developed organisational skills
- Small and large group facilitation, training and consultation
- Flexible, energetic and attuned to client needs
- Creative problem solving with a focus on local needs
- Project Management
- Goal setting and strategic planning
- Human Resource management
- Change leader focussed on empowerment, engaging processes and organisational role development
- NLP Certified Practitioner
- Accredited Coach
- Master of Education
- Franklin Covey Signature Program – The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- Peer Support Program – Certified Instructor
- Highly Performing Organisations Certificate
- Langford Quality Improvement Course Certificate
4 non-consecutive full days from 9:00am-4:30pm (8:45am registration)
Contact us for alternate duration and delivery style options
First Line Manager Core (ASO4-ASO6)
Middle Manager Core (ASO5-ASO6)
Extensive workbook and resources
Lunch, morning tea and refreshments
12 Pirie Street, Adelaide SA 5000
(please visit registration links for further information)
Professional Member $1,751
State Government Employee Member $1,870
Corporate Member $1,904
The programs presented are aligned to public sector competencies and reflect the changing nature of government. You can register for the entire series and receive a 15% discount or register for individual sessions that meet your immediate needs.